Relevant Foundation Degree
Full-time: 1 year
The Sustainable Agriculture programmes are based within University Centre Reaseheath’s dedicated £2 million University Centre teaching facilities and have direct access to Reaseheath’s specialist campus which in recent years has seen over £80 million in investment, including:
- £8 million Advanced Engineering and Agri-Tech Centre
- £8 million National Centre for Horticulture, the Environment and Sustainable Technology, including an automated, hydroponic, LED-light glasshouse and 2021 commissioned 200m2 Vertical Farming Centre
- £7 million Food Centre featuring commercial dairy processing facilities, butchery and bakery
- Mixed commercial farm of 272 hectares of grass and arable land including grass, clover, maize, forage peas, wheat and barley
- Robotic milking facility (commissioned in 2021) consisting of two Lely A5 Automated Milking Robots, Lely Discovery slurry collector and Lely Juno silage pusher, milking approximately 80 pedigree Holstein cows
- Conventional 32/32 Rapid-Exit parlour system, milking a further 130 pedigree Holstein cows
- Expanding beef-from-dairy beef unit
- A commercial flock of 350 New Zealand Highlanders
- Anaerobic digester
What will I study?
You will gain a high level technical and scientific knowledge relevant to our forward thinking agricultural industry, while also being introduced to innovative business management techniques that could be implemented to benefit your business.
The course is broken down into the modules set out below which are completed over 1 year.
4x 20 credit modules and a 40 credit dissertation module at Level 6 include:
- • Dissertation
• Precision Technology
• Advances in Agricultural Science
• Sustainable Development
• Agri-Business Planning & Strategy*
• Leadership & Management for Sustainability*
- *Denotes optional module
†Dissertation is a double-weighted module, worth 40 credits
All modules will run unless changes are made to the course as a whole.
- Successful completion of an FdSc programme (or equivalent qualification) in an Agriculture related subject.
- Postgraduate study
- Professional qualifications.
- Farm/Unit Management
- Farm and Environmental Consultancy
- Animal Health Advisory & Sales
- Animal Genetics Advisory & Sales
- Farm Business Analyst
- Vet Technician
- Vertical Farm Manager
- Glasshouse Manager
- Research and Development
“Doing my degree felt essential because the dairy industry requires innovative, forward thinking individuals with academic minds who can push the industry forward.”
Connor Smith BSc Agricultural Business Management
As a Higher Education student you will have two main costs to meet; your tuition fees and living costs.
Our full-time tuition fees for UK and EU students, entering University, can be found on the student finance page. These fees are charged for each academic year of a course and are set by the college annually.
If you are an international student or for the latest information on tuition fees visit the student finance page on our website.
All resources will be available through the college library or VLE as E-Books, therefore there is no formal requirement to purchase text-books, although a list of recommended texts can be provided. We promote the use of online journals, webinars and podcasts.
Students are responsible for every day stationary, access to a laptop and PPE (steel-toe wellies, overalls and warm clothes) for external visits. For biosecurity purposes, all PPE for the campus farm will be provided.
Some shows and field trips may have small admission fees (usually £10-20). There may also be opportunity to attend industry events and conferences, the costs of which vary depending on event, but of course are optional.
Students may also get the opportunity to join a UK or International Study Tour, usually £150-£1500 depending on location and duration.
Steel-toe capped Wellingtons or boots – £30+
Waterproof trousers – £15+
Waterproof coat – £20+
Warm clothing and waterproofs are important for an external visit.
Prices of equipment are subject to change dependent on retailer.
Would you like to look around? Arrange a visit and see what University Centre Reaseheath can offer
Find out everything you need to apply to study at University Centre Reaseheath
If you have any questions about UCR, or need information on any of our courses, we’re here to help
Take a look through our latest prospectus.