Relevant Foundation Degree
Full-time: 1 year
The qualification achieved through this honours degree top-up opens up a range of opportunities and routes to work for a whole host of organisations in the environmental conservation sector, including work overseas.
Our beautiful 350 hectare campus is full of possibilities. We have the following habitats within our grounds:
- Two lakes
- Two rivers
- Willow carr
- Marl pit ponds
- Wildflower meadows
- Ancient hedgerows
- Designated conservation area
- Designated Site of Biological Interest
We also have access to:
- Coastal sand dunes and salt marsh
- The Goyt valley and the Peak District
- The Cheshire Beaver Reintroduction project
- Salt flashes
Any many other exciting places!
Employment opportunities include: Reserves supervisor, conservation supervisor, senior ecologist, science officer, nature recovery supervisor, biodiversity project manager, woodland delivery manager, reserves warden, conservation scientist, peatland conservation project manager, reserves officer, environmental consultant, and people and wildlife officer/manager.
Following successful completion of this course, you may go on to study at Master’s or PhD level, exploring and researching conservation issues at a higher level.
What will I study?
7 Modules (all at 15 credits with the exception of the dissertation module which is a double credit module at 30 credits) include:
- Dissertation (equivalent to two modules)
- Marine Ecology and Limnology
- Micro Ecosystem Ecology
- Environmental Resource Management
- Leadership and Management for Sustainability
- Successful completion of an FdSc programme (or equivalent qualification)
- M.Sc or Ph.D in Environmental Conservation
These may include a career for organisations such as The Environment Agency, Natural England, The Wildlife Trusts, RSPB, or working overseas in Environmental Conservation roles
- Reserves supervisor
- Conservation supervisor
- Senior ecologist
- Science officer
- Nature recovery supervisor
- Biodiversity project manager
- Woodland delivery manager
- Reserves Warden
- Conservation Scientist
- Peatland conservation project manager
- Reserves officer
- Environmental consultant
- People & wildlife officer/manager
There is also an opportunity for various field trips such as:
- The Cornwall Beaver Project
- Somerset habitats and adders
Please note these trips will incur an additional cost.
As a Higher Education student you will have two main costs to meet; your tuition fees and living costs.
Our full-time tuition fees for UK and EU students, entering University, can be found on the student finance page. These fees are charged for each academic year of a course and are set by the college annually.
If you are an international student or for the latest information on tuition fees visit the student finance page on our website.
Students will need to purchase their own waterproofs, warm clothing, steel toe-capped boots, a x10 magnification hand lens and good quality wellington boots for practicals.
It is also strongly recommended that students have an up to date tetanus vaccination record before starting this course.
Reading lists are provided for each module studied and some students chose to purchase key texts.
- A laptop that is windows compatible
- A scientific calculator (£10-20)
- Leaver arch files or equivalent
- USB memory stick/hard drive or cloud based digital storage space
- Wellies (£20 min)
- Protective steel-capped boots (tip: steel capped boots are more comfortable when worn with a pair of thick walking socks) (£20 min)
- Protective gardening gloves (£5 min)
- A magnifying x10 hand lens (£5)
- Waders are recommended but not essential
- Plenty of warm, waterproof clothing – layers are the best!
- A copy of ‘Maths Skills for Biologists’- available from the FSC online (£3.75)
Prices of equipment are subject to change dependent on retailer.
Would you like to look around? Arrange a visit and see what University Centre Reaseheath can offer
Find out everything you need to apply to study at University Centre Reaseheath
If you have any questions about UCR, or need information on any of our courses, we’re here to help
Take a look through our latest prospectus.